1.25.2012

turning a frown upside down



I have been having a momentary lapse of happiness over the last few days. I am not one to complain about much, or be sad about anything these days, but the last few have been a big bummer for me.

For one, last Friday I found out the conference I was invited to take part of a panel at in February regarding "growing your blog" had been cancelled. It was to be held in Napa, and I was invited to join the panel by the widely respected and very generous Stefania of CityMama. I was really eager for the challenge of speaking publicly, and of assessing and evaluating "corner blog" and what I've done with it so far. 

And then last night the verdict came in from Tease-O-Rama, and no, Yve Jobs was not accepted to perform at the convention. I knew it was a long shot, and there were three times as many applicants as the previous year. But to have shared the stage with such greats as Miss Dirty Martini and Satan's Angel, as well as all the amazing dancers from San Francisco and beyond, would've been a highlight of my life! By the way, you should rent (or BUY) the film "Dirty Martini and the New Burlesque" if you want a glimpse into the neo-burlesque movement and some great body-positive reinforcement.

I am just ready to up my game, and those would've been some great opportunities to do just that. I am ready for a good challenge. Maybe this past month of not performing has filled my reserves of courage and I need to release them again!

But, my frown is turning upside down today. Last night I finally located my late father's scarf, pretty much on the anniversary of his death seven years ago, which I have been agonizing over since I lost it during one crazy night out a few weeks ago. I turned over every stone I could possibly turn over, and I finally found the person who had found it. SO happy. I've had that scarf for over twenty years. Losing it was like losing one of my last connections to my dad.

AND, my birthday is this Friday. My friend Marie, who writes the blog "cowl-y-owl", gifted me this awesome cowl she knitted this morning. It's so awesome. I'm wearing it in this freezing cold cafe and it's the only reason I haven't gone home yet. 




AND, my mother and aunt are coming to visit next week.

AND, my "big" birthday gift this year is this:

(Photo by Victoria Smith of sfgirlbybay.com)

This is going to be a great opportunity to meet some other great lady artists, get some learning by local amazing illustrator Lisa Congdon, and meet the woman behind "The Jealous Curator", one of my new favorite websites ever. The workshop is in March. I seriously can't wait.


I should've titled this post "pretty f***ing lucky", come to think of it. Mood on the rebound, as we speak. Nanny time over, two weeks until I can sit by myself again for four hours at a cafe. I don't mind. :)



19 comments:

  1. It just happens, doesn't it?! Pretty lucky myself but sometimes something triggers a crash... Hope you have fun at your upcoming workshop : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does and it is usually comes as a surprise! I am really looking forward to that workshop, and I will definitely do a few write-ups about it for fellow artists such as yourself, Ann!

      Delete
  2. meh! little birthday blues ain't gonna to cause any kind of creativity stall in your world. no way no how. thanks for those fabu links (cowly-owl, jealous curator). you are fast becoming my conduit to lively arts ladies, which is crucial to kickstarting some creativity over here. i consider your blog a kind of public service, so give yourself a big hug from me for that. happy birthday, omigatos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mi GATOS, is that you, dear Cooki? I love you, and miss you! Thank you for your sweet, sweet words and wishes. xoxo

      Delete
  3. wow, that workshop looks amazing! I always feel like I i'm not inspired enough to do art. I end up doing kiddy things with Logan instead of trying to get my own thing going! have fun and happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! I am the opposite lately, always beating myself up for doing mommy things and not getting out enough with the kids. It's hard to shift the focus back onto them as much as they deserve after I've been doing so much for myself this past year. I'm working on it though. Thank you for commenting.

      p.s. Haircut soon, I am a mess. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Yay! Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great few months ahead of you! The workshop looks so wonderful! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things seem to work out one for one so I'm believing that the other events didn't happen because there's something bigger and better on the horizon. So glad your mood is changing, love the cowl and envious of your birthday gift. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabrina. Thank you for your comment and the birthday wish! I guess I think along those same lines too, so let's see what's a'brewing!

      Delete
  6. I have to say of all the blogs I've been introduced to on NaBloPoMo yours is my favorite. I love how real you are. No need to sugar coat things or be overly dramatic and negative. It is soooooo refreshing! I'm glad you found your dad's scarf and am very sorry for your disappointments. Having your hopes dashed always sucks.

    I've enjoyed your blog so much I want to introduce my readers to you so this morning I tagged you in a "blog tag" post. Please play along if it sounds like fun to you http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FG, I am TRULY flattered. Blogging is so fun, and such an outlet for me to show all the things I want to show that never had a place to go before. I really appreciate such feedback. And I love your blog, I feel very much the same way about yours and just a few others that I have found there. Your blog is SUCH a great resource of information. Really great.

      Thank you for adding me to the "blog tag"! I am not sure I will participate. Between you and me (and anyone else who happens to see this) I am trying to avoid acknowledging that this is a blog. Do you know what I mean? Like, I don't like discussing the blog, I just wanna blog! So I've been shying away from this kind of exercise. That said, I really enjoyed reading your answers to the questions, and like I said in your comment section today, I'll be back to see what everyone else said.

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Ah, no worries on not wanting to participate in the blog tag. I just wanted to use the game as an excuse to share your link with my readers :)

      And I'm glad you're finding The Flirty Blog to be full of helpful information. That's my goal!

      Delete
  7. YAY! can't wait to meet you in March : )
    ps. i'm glad you found your scarf, and got a new cozy one too!
    pps. happy birthday for tomorrow!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JC! I really lucked out in the scarf/incredibly important family memento department this week.

      Thanks for the birthday wish, and now I REALLY will stop chiming in every time I see the words "tea party", "girl crush" or "lisa congdon". ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Tiffanie, I almost missed your birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Did you know that 27 January is National Chocolate Cake Day?! Seriously, what better day for a b-day? Also, your flamenco dancing is AWE-some. Really wonderful. Tease-o-rama is suffering a major loss. Hope your day's been stellar and wishing you a fabulous new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonya! No, I had no idea about NCCD! Wow! We were looking everywhere for a cake for me on Friday (we were out of town) but ended up settling on some amazing chocolate espresso mousse and Earl Grey panna cotta, so I was happy!

      Thank you for the supportive words about the dancing......turns out I might have a little Tease-O-Rama surprise coming up, but yeah, I think that act would've been a real winner there. :)

      Delete
  9. happy birthday tiff! I wanna go to girl crush too, it sounds great! I'm so sorry for the disappointment...it's totally to say you're bummed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tania! I will let you know all the juicy details of what we do there so you can do it, too! :) Thanks for being so sweet! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...