1.30.2012

on the bench (cooking with kids)





I was looking through some old online photo albums last week, and I was struck by how many photos there are of Stella and Oliver cooking away with me at our kitchen counter. We've always kept a piano bench pressed up against the counter, which someone usually pulls out and sits at when eating there. It was my father's father's piano bench, something I grapple with keeping vs. getting rid of. It's not our style, and I would've loved to have some sweet, civilized stools here instead.

But, as awkward and un-aesthetically pleasing as the bench is right there, it has been a fantastic way to share cooking with the kids. It is the perfect height for a toddler to stand at, and now that Stella is six she can still kneel there comfortably and work. I sometimes wonder what I would've done if we had been in a different kitchen during these years. The kids and I get to work eye to eye and face to face, and they are completely out of my way but still right there with me. It's been really great. As soon as I get the eggs out of the refrigerator in the morning Oliver is up on the bench and begging me to let him stir them.


Working on chopping the hearts of palm.

We've only had one accident (so far). When Stella was around three years old, she toppled off the edge of the bench and briefly dislocated her elbow, which amazingly we were able to fix with instructions over the phone from the pediatrician. At not even two and a half years old, Oliver already knows to get in the middle of the bench, and I keep a good eye on him.

 Pie.

Pizza.

Yellow cake.

Chocolate cake.

Cupcakes.

Muffins!

Ballin'.

Shuckin'.

Snackin'. Damn, mommy looked good.

More shuckin'.

 Pretzels.

Easter eggs.

Washin', aaaand....

.....sleepin'!


The piano bench has made it so effortless and natural for one kid or the other (or both) to sidle up to the bar and help with the cooking, which has been just wonderful for all of us. I don't know how I would've managed without it. But it ain't pretty!




12 comments:

  1. Aw. It isn't that bad, and a great keepsake. Maybe, maybe you could compromise, and make it your next DIY to dress it up a bit and make it your style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, LT. It crossed my mind, years ago, but I forgot! My mom arrives for a week-long visit, maybe I'll put her to work1 :) I think white would look awesome.

      P.S. SO glad I read your scarf post, I've been doing it all weekend with a new scarf I bought and it's a whole new ballgame when you don't have to swing it

      Delete
  2. Awww they're so adorable! =)

    pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hope! You are pretty freaking adorable yourself. Your blog is wonderful!

      Delete
  3. These pictures are so darling. There are really few things better than cooking with children. Your children are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan. It's amazing as I looked back how often we do it. Basically every night. Although this whole "homework in first grade" thing has put a little crimp in the evening ritual. :(

      Delete
  4. I love the pizza and the shucking shots! So cute and you are raising a man who will be able to cook (his future mate will thank you one day).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it like that! He does love it! We'll see how long that lasts. :)

      Delete
  5. I really love this post. I think for your kids if they don't realize it now they will when they grow up that cooking with you was a very special thing. I still remember my mom letting me stand on a stool to help her hand dry the dishes with a cloth as she washed them when I was too little to reach the counter. Funny how after all these years it's one of my favorite memories of doing something special with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet. I have been thinking of putting Stella to work with something more hardcore like drying dishes, I think she'd like it!

      I hope there will be a way for the kids to see all of the memories I've been saving here in the future. If our parents had been blogging back then....hmm...

      Delete
  6. this is perfection. and now i want pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Drea. Notice they are always baking sweets, not eating killer nutritious amazing food like Marlowe!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...